Korean War recollections of the 519th Co. C
Recollections of the 519th
in the
Korean War

The Following are events that had happened at the 519th during the Korean Conflict as told by those who were there.

I was stationed at Inje...519th C.Co from Aug 51 til Nov 52 with territory encompassing Sokcho ri/ Wongtong ni and Taeback Mtn area I was in charge of the M8 " Greyhound" armored car as well as the Co. PX and misc duties.
Many of the names I have forgotten.. although Franklin I remember as he was strung up by his thumbs at a defile post.. Guerillas jumped him and it was real cold. There was a Snyder ( spelling??) that was in the motor pool also.. They called him Yakju.. as he drank anything with alcohol in it.. even Aqua Velva. Some even said anti freeze.
The Supply Sgt was nicknamed Red and the name Klatka rings a distant bell.
One of the crew on the M8.. His relative was the Mayor of Baltimore and there was a Cpl Brown that commited suicide after his R/R in Japan.

There was a Grover Cleveland Pointer(from somewhere down south) that seldom bathed. He received a bath in the river nearby in the middle of winter. We broke the ice and dunked him in.. fart sack and all. I believe he requested a transfer after that.
Also a Fitzpatrick (?) from DelRay Mich.. a tough little Irishman that loved to fight.

Possibly due to rotation we were assigned a new Mess Sgt. He was an alky and as I had control of all alcoholic beverages (PX) we kept him well oiled and as a result ate like kings. He was a fantastic chef. One day the Provost Marshal stopped by for an inspection and when he left.. He took the Mess Sgt. with him. We got the PM's old Mess Sgt. who had trouble boiling water.
Brass does have its privileges.!!!!!

Our original Capped went home on emergency leave as his wife was ill and we got a new Capt. Can't remember his name... Post.. maybe. A little guy... He cut the beer ration from a 6 pack a day to I believe 1 bottle a day/man.. Not too popular.. I had the beer stored in the supply tent and the floor started to cave in due to the weight of incoming supplies of beer. Made a comment to the Supply Sgt.
about the Capt.'s decision.. Not knowing that the Captain was with him at the time.. For a while .. my ass was grass!!!
We were occasionally called on to accompany Brass in guerilla hunting. Actually they wanted to go deer hunting and wanted the protection of the M8 Armored car.

I enjoyed your web page with pics and comments about your Dad's tour of duty in Korea. Joe and I were both draftees. Joe was already in Korea when I arrived there on May 10, 1952, which incidentally was my 22nd birthday.
I went directly from Inchon (where we landed) to Won Tong ni. This was the headquarters of Co. C, 519th MP Bn. In October of 1952, a platoon of about 30 men from Company C was sent to an area on the Eastern coast of Korea just above the 38th parallel and about 20 miles from the small village of Sokcho ri. At that time, this was a combat area and therefore no civilians were living in our immediate bivouac area.
The mission of our platoon was primarily expediting the movement of troups and equipment to the front lines. The area was very mountainous and required that we man strategic areas, called "defiles" where only one-way traffic could travel the very narrow and winding roads, especially with the heavy military equipment (semi's and tanks). One MP was stationed on each end of the defile equipped with two-way radios, as a means of communicating the number of vehicles we were sending through. These were very lonely outposts that were operated around the clock. It was not unusual for these outposts to come under attack by small bands of North Korean commando units, especially during the hours of darkness. Usually there was a Korean MP stationed with each of our MP's for backup and interpreting personnel from Korean convoys going through the area. We also patrolled a specified area that went into the town of Socho ri where we looked for GI's who may have strayed away from their unit to fraternize with some of the local girls.
During the winter months, the weather was extremely cold, and I recall on New Year's Eve of 1952, we were all thinking of what we would be doing if we were back in the States. So we persuaded the commander of our platoon to let us go into Socho ri with a semi (driven by Joe, of course) and see if we could round up enough of the local girls to bring back to our bivouac area to celebrate the occasion. Needless to say, we enticed a goodly number of females with the promise of plenty of good food (C-Rations) and we had enough alcohol rations to round out the occasion. Each of the squad tents was full of fun and laughter on that night. The girls were all transported back to town in the wee hours of the morning.
Another cold and wintry night a truckload of GI's came through our area heading South. They stopped over for hot coffee and any food our mess tent might have. It was extremely cold and the roads were iced over as well as the area outside of our tents. They also asked if we had any alcohol. Well, we had an emergency stash of a gallon of 200 proof medicinal alcohol that we had scrounged from a medical unit in the area. We put it in a 5 gallon water can along with about 3 gallons of canned fruit juice from the mess tent. After a very cordial evening they began to load up in their truck, but the combination of the icy ground and the alcohol, made a difficult time getting them loaded and stacked like "cord wood" in the back of the semi. At least they weren't feeling the cold.
I rotated back to the States in February 1953, and was discharged. After a year back home and attending the University., I reenlisted and was sent to Europe (Germany) where I met my wife. After 3 years, we came back to the States where I reentered the University, and we raised 3 sons. After I graduated from the University of Alabama, I went to work at the Chamber of Commerce in Tuscaloosa for 6 years, after which I was offered a job in the Business School of the University. I retired in 1996. That's about it for now Steve. Perhaps I will get back with you again for more. Hope you get a good response from some of the other guys. Regards, Anthony Linn

Thanks to:
John MacGaw & Anthony Linn for their contributions!!

Email me your recollections!

Back to 519th Co. C Korean Conflict Website